The last of Deloitte’s six drivers of change are “cyber physical systems” (here).
- Drones – we have blogged previously about unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), sometimes sceptically. But it is forecast that by 2020 the UAV market will be a $11.3 billion industry.
- Augmented reality – wearables, such as Google Glass, will result in all kinds of data being provided to users about the environment they are in and the things they are doing.
- Internet of Things (IoT) – the digital connection of devices through the internet will move beyond simple monitoring of performance towards proactive management and analysis of the data this generates.
- Sensor technology – by 2020 the IoT will be powered by 1 trillion sensors, with technology converging to create industry standards.
- Geo-spatial technology – “location becomes becomes an integral dimension of data” and analytics, with developments such as geomedicine, indoor GIS, passive GIS, and multi-source geofencing.