Further to my last blog, Deloitte have identify six major drivers of change (here), leading up to 2020. These are::
- Demographic – such as speed of population growth in different parts of the world, ageing, and rapid urbanisation
- Economic – including fiscal stress, climate change, emerging markets and digitisation of money
- Societal – such as rise of social consciousness and the effect of pervasive corruption
- Digital technology – social media, mobile, the cloud and analytics
- “Exponential” technology – additive manufacturing, robotics and AI.
- Cyber technology = such as drones, internet of things and augmented reality
We’ll take a look at some of these in future blogs, selecting those most affecting Operations Management.